In the 1730s the national administration tried several times to parcel out farm buildings around the country – also at Søbygaard, but to no avail.

In 1768 the efforts were successful in the other Ærø manors, but Søbygaard was not parcelled out until 1771-72. In 1847 there were just under 50 properties on the land of Søbygaard, but only 4-5 of them were of farm sizes – the rest were smallholdings.

Søbygaard's land had been changed into smallholdings that would barely make a living for a small family. The manor house first became residence for managing clerks of the county, later on for a church inspector and finally for a farmer's family.